Mac's Random Rants and Commentaries on Life

Unique Insight into Life's Little Mysteries (but mostly just snide critisism)

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Smoke and Mirrors

Okay, I know I'm liable to rile people up with this one; but I'm gonna side with the tobacco people this time.

According to a source on Yahoo! News, certain people think that cigarette use in movies should merit a more negative rating. Now don't get me wrong, I hate tobacco. My grandmother has emphysema, and she never smoked a day in her life-she was simply around others who smoked. As much as I disapprove of tobacco, I refuse to limit the freedom of others to inhale poison into their lungs if they so desire.

Now, as for this movie business-this is utterly ridiculous. It almost ranks up there with those brilliant people who sued the tobacco companies for shoving cigarettes into their mouths and forcing them to smoke. After all, who would have thought that inhaling SMOKE could be bad for you? So now we have to give a film an "R" rating just because it has people smoking in it. With all the trash that is released today under the guise of a "PG" or "PG-13" rating, we're going to worry about someone taking a puff?!?! This is what it's come to now...it's okay to have characters cussing up a blue streak as they run around naked killing everything in sight-just as long as they don't have a burning roll of tobacco-filled paper in their mouth as they do it. I think we have a lot better things to worry about before we worry about this.

Now, on a totally unrelated subject (other than the fact that it too is completely stupid) I've been hearing all night on the news that Kerry has just swept four southern primaries. And this is supposed to be a SURPRISE?!?!?! HELLO!!!! He's the only canidate! Dean and Edwards have already dropped out! And what's most amazing of all is that people actually voted for Dean and Edwards after they had dropped out of the race!

Gosh...what is the world coming to? Until next time, stay cool...and if you're gonna vote for someone who's not even running, why not put in your vote for me? I'm just as good at making empty promises as anyone else!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Your E-mail: