Mac's Random Rants and Commentaries on Life

Unique Insight into Life's Little Mysteries (but mostly just snide critisism)

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

The Agony and the Ecstasy

So much to rant about...so little time...

Well, I know I'm kind of late to jump on the bandwagon, but I thought I might as well put in my two cents worth about The Passion of the Christ. Why is this rant-worthy, you ask? Because, certain intellectually challenged individuals have condemned this movie as being anti-Semitic! Why? Because it gives [shudder] the view that the Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus. And don't forget those that bash the movie for being too violent.

First of all, I have actually seen the movie-which is usually a good thing to do before you give your opinion on it. Second of all, since this is a movie about the death of Christ, I'll let everyone know that I am a Christian. Now, religious views aside, common sense should tell you that this movie is in no way anti-Semitic. As a student of the Bible, I found the film to be very accurate in its portrayal of the death of Christ. The teachings of Jesus Christ presented quite a problem to the corrupt Jewish hierarchy: they saw Jesus as a threat to them and their way of life. Notice, I said the Jewish hierarchy, not the entire Jewish community. In first century Judea, just as today, there were good people and bad people-and this included the Jews. In fact, if you had actually seen the movie, you would know that many of the Jews in the film are presented in a good way. By the way, just in case you didn't know Jesus and his disciples were all Jews! It is a simple historical fact the Jews were among those who called for the death of Jesus. However, it was Gentiles (Romans, in this case) who actually performed the execution. Furthermore, Christ's very purpose of coming to earth was to die as an atonment for the sins of mankind. This means that everyone of us is, through our sins, responsible for the death of Christ.

Whew...okay. Now, about the violence, I'll be short: as I said before, the movie is quite accurate to the Biblical view of the death of Christ. It is also quite historically accurate regarding crucifixion. Remember people, the Romans were not known for the mercy. Crucifixion was a method of execution, one that effectively tortured and humiliated the victim before finally killing them. Many complain that the scourging scene goes too far. Well, once again if we look at the historical FACTS, we see that this was a terrible ordeal. In fact, the scourgings could be so terrible that some prisoners were killed by this act alone.

Now, as for what I thought about this movie: I found it to be very powerful. I can't really say that I liked it per se, but it deeply touched me. It helped me to better realize the extent of the sacrifice that Christ made for me. I would advise against any younger people seeing it because it is very, very graphic. To everyone else, I highly recommend that you see this film.

So, until tomorrow-don't judge something until you've experienced it for yourself, I'll think much higher of you if you think for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Your E-mail: